Clémence of Hungary (1293-1328) lived in this grand estate on the rue du Temple after the death of her husband, King Louis X in 1316. Engravings document the large, walled compound of fifteen acres with multiple buildings, including a towering donjon with turrets and a gothic structure called the Temple Church. Clémence’s father-in-law had confiscated the Temple from the Knights Templar when he dissolved and persecuted them in 1307. Queen Clémence’s inventory of her belongings at the time of her death indicates that at the Temple she had numerous reliquaries, sculptures, manuscripts, jewels, clothing and textiles that decorated and served the estate.
Present-day location: 7 Rue Perrée